[OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]

Subject: [OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:51:48 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

>> I hope you are just talking about emergency and not real photography.
> Oops, I guess I'm in trouble now! Or maybe I can just classify most of
> my photography as emergency.  :-)

Sorry if my words was too strong. You are right that most of our subjects
for photography is quite different. For landscape or alike your approach of
digial zoom is absolutely fine, I think I was just biased on my own way of
shooting. But your suggestion of digital zoom really can't cover my needs, I
always carefully select forground and background subjects for a shoot.
Looking at part of the viewfinder to estimate the final shoot is not my
interest.

> More seriously, over the years I've been on this list, I've very much
> enjoyed the many fine photos you've posted, and look forward to more.
> And I hope you have enjoyed some of mine. Its also clear that we value
> different qualities in images.

Thanks for your kind words, I absolutely like your shots too, that's why I
bought the F30. Your shots with the F10 are very nice!

> For many of the shots I'm talking about, those aren't issues. I love
> long tele shots. A shot like this may not appeal to all, but it just
> knocks me out
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/TamSharp/pages/River-300mm.htm>.
> I love the perspective on a meandering river, meadows and trees - green,
> barren/dead and turning color. It would look completely different down
> in or near it. Here's another couple in that vein
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/TamSharp/pages/Lake-183mm.htm>
> &
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/TamSharp/pages/Trees-300mm%5D.htm>.
> For these and many of my shots OOF isn't a factor and perspective is
> fixed.

Agree, we seldom have such beautiful scene and weather here so that makes me
prefer wide and short tele, that also force me to other subjects.

> Perspective is only a factor of distance, not lens or sensor size.

I understand, may be I have used the wrong word, I mean it is difficult to
feel the perspective when I cannot use the full viewfinder.

> I absolutely agree that for many shots, most using shorter focal
> lengths, the factors you raise do make a difference. And it is easier to
> deal with them using the full viewfinder, and why not, if the lens
> covers the shot.

Yes, that's what in my mind.

>> Ok, I also enjoy new technology and appreciate stylish toys so don't
>> challenge me when I have went for a E-3.
>>
> Hey, I think we all know you like those new toys! Few people on this
> list who don't. I know I do. I sincerely hope Oly pulls a really great
> E-3 out of the hat - and soon. And I'll only congratulate you when you
> buy one.

Thanks, and I know you also enjoy the 5D very much, I really wish Olympus
had not went the 4/3 way especially it do not provide any size or cost
benfit to the users.

C.H.Ling