[OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]

Subject: [OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 13:59:40 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:
> Thanks for that, Moose.  I liked your comparison as well and I found
> that the colours of the Fujifilm camera were more pleasing than those
> from the 300D; but I expect that you might have adjusted either if
> you were interested.

This started out as a casual venture for my own interest. Had I known I
was going to end up posting any results, I would have propped a WhiBal
in the shot and corrected everything.

Not just to answer you, but other comments about color balance: Lighting
was just the same for all shots, a 100 watt incandescent bulb covered by
a rather old 'opal' plastic dome which has obvious and somewhat uneven
yellowing of the plastic. The F30 images are just as they came out of
the camera. The 300D shots were one click gray balanced rather casually
in RAW conversion, as they were very yellow. Can*n DSLRs are famous for
poor WB on Auto with incandescent light.

That is - absolutely nothing should be concluded from the color balance
of these samples. That would be a different test I didn't make.

> Finally, I am sure that the F30, like its predecessors, is an
> excellent camera, but it does not look right for me.  I know that
> looks are trivial, but I have to like the look of a machine to enjoy
> using it :-).

When will they come out with the OM-3Ti gray finish? :-)

Moose