[OM] Re: Software piracy. Boo-hoo-hoo.

Subject: [OM] Re: Software piracy. Boo-hoo-hoo.
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 14:51:53 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/2006 1:19:01 PM Central Standard Time,
hiwayman@xxxxxxx writes:

I know,  from previous rants and rages, that some folks here are really
touchy on the  subject of software piracy.

No more so than if someone pirated one of our images and used it to there
benefit without compensating us.

Some of  us who have wasted money on and been ripped of by crappy software
aren't  nearly as concerned.  Revenge, besides being a dish best served cold,
is
 also sweet.

Hmm, let me see, you bought some crappy software from company B and now you
are pirating some good software from company A, so that makes it a wash.
I'll have to think about that one a bit.

Now to your real question, to which I don't know the answer.  I know  that it
is OK to put your copy of  PS on another computer that you own  (like your
laptop), but not to buy one copy and put it on 10 computers you have  in your
graphic arts department.

If you change platforms (as you son did) I think you can use you prior
ownership in the PC version to qualify for a cheaper MAC version.  If that  is
how
the transition was made, it would seem to me that your son would still  have
some ownership in the PC versin and not be able transfer it to you.

If on the other hand he bought a full retail version for his MAC and
assuming the agreement he made with Adobe when he bought the original PC
version
allows for transfer, I would say you are OK. I would just be sure I went
through
the proper channels to get it transfered.

To put it in perspective for myself, I'll just close my eyes for a  minute
and imagine Adobe pirating one of my images, using on the front of  the next
version of PS and neither compensating me nor giving me credit for  creating
it.

I'd be flatter and I'd also be on the phone  . . . to an  attorney.  Bill
Barber