[OM] Re: Budget Battles and Willful Submission

Subject: [OM] Re: Budget Battles and Willful Submission
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 15:01:20 -0700 (PDT)
Richard L. wrote:
> Somewhat.  Our apartment living room in Chicago never served
> as a recording studio though the recording studio I worked
> for often served as a second bedroom after many late night
> sessions when driving home was not an option.

Internships are such a wonderful thing.

> The Yam*aha grand piano cover made a warm blanket.

Only the C7. The others were too short for me.

> And if I told you what I was making in
> those days you'd fall to the floor laughing...it wasn't much.

Let's see, my first 18 months were non-income too.  I can't tell
you how many concerts and events I mixed where I never saw a
dime. The lead FOH guy was raking in the dough, but I got paid
in 'sperience.  Then I spent another five years earning just
over minimum wage on the fringes of the industry.

At some point I became VERY fortunate by working for a
manufacturer and became a factory representive for some studio
equipment.  I definitely got paid after that. It was so much fun
being beyond the bleeding edge--we we designing and engineering
the sharp things that caused the bleeding!

Unfortunately in the audio industry there are only a handful of
people making anything beyond a minimum wage. Those that do are
usually in debt up to their necks.  It's ludicrious that in
order to make it as a mixing engineer that you have to own your
own set of special processing gear.  Tools of the trade, sure,
but with all of the zillions of people wanting "in" (like
photography), you can make them jump through whatever hoops you
want them to.  Why should a studio owner buy that high-end
tube-compressor or Foc*srite gear when you can con "Eddie the
Engineer" into spending thousands of his own dollars on it.  If
you don't like it, you can always voice 60 second donut
commercials for the local radio station.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com