[OM] Re: OT computer advice needed

Subject: [OM] Re: OT computer advice needed
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 06:01:53 +0200
Le samedi 06 Mai 2006 05:09, RMcFet a écrit :
> All you need to do is partition your hard drive and reload the 2
> systems per instructions and you can have Mac and Linux on any G3-G5
> machine.

I'm a long time linux user (since kernel 1.2x, ~ 1997) and advocate, and yet I
can swear Macintosh are the *worst* possible computers to put linux on. I
have some PCs (from Pentium 133MMX through PPro to athlon), some Sun (4m &
4u), an alpha ; they all work flawlessly with linux _but_ my beige G3 (right,
awfully old[*]) firmware is *so* buggy I'm still wondering how on earth I
will boot a kernel on it[**]. Maybe via tftp out of desperation. I've got 2
other G4 that need to be put back on buisness, but 2nd hand prices for bottom
of the line video cards are insane since they must be OBP compliant. In my
opinion, Macintosh are a huge pile of junk cobbled together just able to run
MacOS ; which they do alright, I won't deny it. But running anything else is
really a huge pain in the b*, not worth the time spent on it. If I were to
buy a Mac, I would let it happily live its life the way Jobs intended it to
be. A free operating system (as in speech) is a nonsense on proprietary
hardware anyway. Nevertheless, I've read that it's now easier to boot linux
on Mac, but still I don't see the point. MacOS X is a unix as good as linux
anyway, most linux apps have been ported to OS X natively, and when it wasn't
possible to make use of quartz, OS X provides an X server. So from OO.o to
Gimp and firefox, everything runs happily without messing around.

[*] but very handy with its onboard scsi to chain some scanners.
[**] what's worse is that OBP was made right by Sun, and messed up by apple
when they licensed it. You can boot a Sun on anything from magnetic tape to
internet (and of course, floppy, cdrom, hdd, ethernet) with no additional
hardware other than a VT hooked on the serial port. I hoped my Mac would be
at least on par, but I was wrong. The bloody thing can't even fetch an iso
properly from a cdrom. Basicaly, it can only launch the 68x00 emulator in rom
which will finaly boot MacOS Macintosh+ style. I had the curiosity to look at
apple issued patch to the obp (that's the beauty of forth ;-) ) : what a
hack, just make the thing run properly !
--
Manuel Viet