[OM] Re: Archival media - was: Re: Mamiya

Subject: [OM] Re: Archival media - was: Re: Mamiya
From: Donald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:29:11 +0100
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> The products (CD & DVD) he refers to don't actually exist yet.
> Amazingly, he makes it clear that the only real market they've
> identified for archival media is government.  I'm startled that
> universities and other large organizations are not identified as part of
> the market.  Maybe your sister should contact him and ask why.  Contact
> info is in the paper.
>
> Chuck Norcutt

Being a librarian by training, I read somewhere in the last couple of years
that
the Swiss were returning to archiving vital documents / files / images on film,
due to the unpredictability of failure and monitoring difficulties associated
with modern digital media.

UK librarianship suffers from exactly the "bleeding-edge" syndrome described. I
used to resist the tendency to scrap everything once digitised, but then got
out
entirely and ceased to worry about it. Except in nightmares. I'm a worrier by
nature...

D.