[OM] Re: Mamiya

Subject: [OM] Re: Mamiya
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:45:07 -0500
 The world's second-largest camera film maker after U.S.-
>> based Eastman Kodak suffers from a shrinking camera film market, even
>> though that business now accounts for less than 10 percent of its sales.
This is the very reason that I have questioned the sanity of Kodak's
announcement a year or so ago that they wanted to get out of the finm
business and go digital entirely. I believe the CEO that made that statement
has already added his name to the ever-growing list of ex-Kodak CEO's, but
that is a revolving door.

It has been reported that Kodak has never shown a profit on any digital
effort. The entirety of the digital business has been supported by revenues
from the film related businesses. Since a cornerstone of American business
has been the art of wringing dry mature technologies, the actions of some
film producers amazes me.

A recent report in the photo trades indicated that an expanding market is
the making of chemical prints from digital camera files. It seems that the
average P&S customer has just in the last year discovered that it is
possible to download files to their local Waalmart or Walgreens, and get
nice, shiny prints. Prthaps Kodak will  have the last laugh, since Fuji and
Konica have shut down their USA paper coating facilities.

Bill Pearce