[OM] Re: Archival media - was: Re: Mamiya

Subject: [OM] Re: Archival media - was: Re: Mamiya
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:52:47 -0400
Since my last email on this subject I did read the paper.  Although 18
pages it doesn't take very long.  It's mostly charts and graphs as
talking points for a 30 minute talk.  He makes it very clear that the
market has been dumbed down and that there's a lot of poor quality junk
floating around out there.  So far it seems that price is the only
discriminator that people understand.  He is trying to drum up support
for something like a NIST certified standard of quality for archival
CD's and DVD's.  Thinks something like that is the only thing that might
cause people to think beyond price.

The products (CD & DVD) he refers to don't actually exist yet.
Amazingly, he makes it clear that the only real market they've
identified for archival media is government.  I'm startled that
universities and other large organizations are not identified as part of
the market.  Maybe your sister should contact him and ask why.  Contact
info is in the paper.

Chuck Norcutt