[OM] Re: Help choose eqiup.

Subject: [OM] Re: Help choose eqiup.
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 08:57:26 -0400
At 01:51 AM 4/15/2006, you wrote:
>... Then I need the best 50 mm (please advise me) and then
>I've got a complete equipment.

The 50mm has a long history of discussion on this list with
every version and serial number for the best performance.
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm
is still the reference point for many of us, a lot of hard work
Gary Reese did several years ago. My favorite 50mm
is the 50/1.4 with SN > 1,100,000. Then the 50/2 macro,
then the 50/1.8  MIJ (Made in Japan version) and then the
50/1.2. ... I sold a large portion of my OM gear to go digital
but I still have a 50/2, 50/1.4, and 50/1.8. If you want to go
small and light weight, the 16mm,  24/2.8, 50/1.8 mij and
a few others make a nice kit. The 24 shift is not light weight.
Several on the list have used the shift lenses (35 or 24)
for wide angle stitching that does not need perspective
correction, stitching a shift left with a shift right. These
perspective lenses require manual stop down.

>I need another advice from you. Have been looking for OM4Ti but read some
>where its eating batteries. I need a manually camera with good metering
>system, it must be quiet,  small and lightweight. Available service and
>spare parts

Stick with the OM-4t (OM-4 eats batteries). I'm not sure what service
is available for you, but in the US John Hermanson is good
and a member of this list. http://www.zuiko.com/
If you want quiet, I think the digital P&S's of today are the
way to go. The OM-4t was designed to stop down some
big lenses, so is not as quiet as a L--ca. However the OM-4t
metering, especially ease of multi-spot metering, I have not seen
duplicated in any camera. Low light OTF metering is also
not something you can find any where either. If you get
an OM-4t, more than likely you should have it serviced, so
figure that in the cost up front. Check with John.

WayneS