[OM] Re: YADT, 5D & twinge in the fundament

Subject: [OM] Re: YADT, 5D & twinge in the fundament
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:31:52 -0400
At 11:18 AM 4/14/2006, you wrote:
>> All the others can be managed. Having to clean the
>> sensor with solvent + wipe will get real annoying, especially
>> if I'm at some workshop out in the boonies somewhere :-)
>
>You can probably borrow an E-1 if need be.

Kewl, you wouldn't happen to have an extra OM to E1 adapter?

>> With no easy way to determine if the grim is creeping into
>> my shots until back at the computer. What if you don't have
>> access to a computer for several days?
>
>Will zooming in on image-review reveal the spots?  As aweful as
>the zoom/review function is in the E-1 I can spot my spots.

I guess that also means more batteries are needed in the field.

>> I wonder how effective the E-1 is with this type of
>> dust? High F-stops in the fundament.
>
>Well, I believe that we are able to get away with it in the E-1
>because the dust-shaker membrane is farther from the surface of
>the CCD and any microdust would just be out of focus.  Get far
>enough away and it would have to be a pretty big lump to be
>visible.  The 5D's AA/IR filter appears to be thinner than
>previous models and as such the dust is closer to the CMOS
>itself and would be more likely to show up.

Well, I do know if I set the E-1 aperture to as high as possible,
the dust is visible, but not nearly as in focus as it is on the
5D. One more advantage the E1 sensor size has, as the
mirror box dimensions for the FF 5D are probably tight,
while the E-1 has more room to add distance, which means
an even higher F-stop is needed to make the dust an issue.

WayneS