[OM] Re: YADT, 5D & twinge in the fundament

Subject: [OM] Re: YADT, 5D & twinge in the fundament
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:36:25 -0400
I'm not convinced the CO2 duster is not containment free and
I do suspect oil. However, if I spray with it, test again, the pattern
is unchanged. I will try to get a definitive answer on oil in the CO2.

There is construction going on next to where I work, and the
camera has been in the car. The question is what kinds of
particles would not move when sprayed with the duster? I'm
not familiar with the behavior of really small particles. I know
from MEMS work that static is a very powerful force at this
scale and particle sizes.

If it is oil, would that behave differently in some way I could
determine? That is, using solvents like methanol, simple
dusting with a static brush (like visible dust brush). The
worst scenario in my mind is that camera lubricants are the
source. All the others can be managed. Having to clean the
sensor with solvent + wipe will get real annoying, especially
if I'm at some workshop out in the boonies somewhere :-)
With no easy way to determine if the grim is creeping into
my shots until back at the computer. What if you don't have
access to a computer for several days?

At 09:48 AM 4/14/2006, AGipert wrote:

>2. These spots look like they could be from a oily propellent.
>are you sure that CO2 is contaminant free?
>
>3. Do the spots move or smear when cleaned?  If they smear I'd
>vote for lubricant.  If they move, I vote for clay or concrete
>dust.  Is there any construction going on around you?  Even a
>couple blocks away?

At this scale, I'm not sure surface tension would allow smearing?
Physical properties become strange at these sizes. Outside
of an electron microscope, I'm not sure how to solve this
problem. I wonder how effective the E-1 is with this type of
dust? High F-stops in the fundament.

WayneS