[OM] YADT, 5D & twinge in the fundament

Subject: [OM] YADT, 5D & twinge in the fundament
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:35:13 -0400
The http://www.visibledust.com/nature_of_dust.html web site has
information on dust. There are even some electron microscope
shots of dust. Quoting from that site:

==>
A) Silica (SiO2) or Quartz based » high degree of hardness -
most scratches are the result of these particles (ex: glass & sand)

B) Metallic » softer in nature - not as hard as silica but may
damage coated glass

C) Fiber » usually made from synthetic materials that make
up the fabric of our clothing - quite harmless but annoying
(ex: pants, shirt, etc.)

D) Organic & Man-Made » organic can be internal such as
oil lubricant or external such as pollen, dead skin cells -
man-made internal examples include foam or fabric used
within camera chamber - also quite harmless but annoying
<==

I'm now starting to have more problems with the 5D and dust.
Maybe it is because I'm doing more macro shots (f32 even) in
which dust is very obvious. The CO2 duster I mentioned before
quickly removes standard large loose dust. However, the dust
that remains is not fibrous and may even be coming from the
lubricants used in the camera. I don't have the visible dust brush
so I haven't tested its effectiveness.

I'm beginning to wonder if the "dust" is really oils or metal particles
coming from the camera itself, which develops after a certain
amount of usage. Take a look at this shot, and notice the dust
specs in the right half of the image. (yadt - yet another dust theory)

http://www.airsprite.net/OM/dust_MG_3717.jpg
and 100% crop
http://www.airsprite.net/OM/dustcrop_MG_3717.jpg
shot at F32 @ 250mm

This dust does not respond to air spray. Also, the size of the
dust is not an issue at lower F stops. But for macro work it is
becoming a real ache in the arse, a pang in the posterior,
a prickle in the keister... what's that phrase I'm looking for?

For macro work, the 5D FF sensor is probably more of a
detriment than advantage. It is hard to realize all that resolution.

WayneS