[OM] Re: Sigma 600mm F8 reflex lens?

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma 600mm F8 reflex lens?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:29:29 -0700
Although it sounds like mine is a different version, I did find out how the
mount was put together.

The metal pieces all look like they belong to a conventional OM mount that
could be stopped down. Inside there are two plastic pieces, one of which
fits inside of the other, that have the max aperture tab protruding through
one of the two slots in the metal.

After completely disassembling the mount I found that I could push a very
thin screwdriver between the two plastic rings freeing them from each other.
I rotated the ring with the tab so that the tab fit through the right slot
in the metal mount. It isn't obvious at first glance that the two plastic
pieces are actually two pieces. They fit together very tightly and had some
loctite or similar hard glue holding them together. The tip off is that the
inner piece had some tiny snap hooks to hold the outer ring and the fact
that it had to be rotated.

Probably the only unique pieces for the fixed aperture mount are the two
plastic pieces. The outer plastic piece also has a short tab that fills the
DOF stop down button hole. With about a dozen screws and four or five metal
pieces it seems overly complex but I guess having common pieces with other
lenses made it cost effective.

-jeff

(with only one left-over screw after it was all put back together, and that
was because it was too short to go where it belonged)

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Moose,

Thanks for the picture, that helps a lot as I wasn't quite sure of the
correct
position of the tab. Have you ever had that mount apart? I'm curious to know
how the tab was originally fastened to it's fixed position. Also, sounds
like I need to
get out the calipers and find out what size filters and cap mine takes if
there's
two different sizes.

Darin