[OM] Re: Sigma 600mm F8 reflex lens?

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma 600mm F8 reflex lens?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 08:07:13 -0800
It's not a T-mount. The Sigma has a permanently attached bayonet mount that
was assembled wrong.

A T-mount would not have the slot for the moving stop down lever. Also all
of the T-mount adapters I have seen have the max aperture tab mounted inside
of the hole the light passes through, not on the flat surface of the mount.
On a T-mount the hole for the light is normally made as large as possible
since the mount isn't tied to a specific lens.

The Sigma mount does look like it used parts from a conventional lens having
a stop down lever. The size of the mount seems to perfectly match the rest
of the lens. I think this is the way it came from the factory. I bought the
lens  from a camera store with what appeared to be all of the packing
material. I suspect it may have been sold, but since it won't work, it was
probably returned to the store and never sent back to Sigma.

Unless my lens was an early prototype that wasn't designed correctly, there
should be a way to move the max aperture tab over to the slot at the 1:00
o'clock position where it belongs. I was a little afraid after reading
Darin's post that there may not be a screw hole in the right position. It
seems his is very different though.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Not sure which T mount this is (they went to T4). Most have three or
four grub screws to allow you to adjust it to your individual camera/
lens combo.
It looks as if this has been misassembled one screw position 'off'
widdershins - I'd unscrew the mount and turn it one position
clockwise as that should give the correct orientation. If the
aperture tab is loose, it may need to be located in a keyway of some
sort under the mount.
AndrewF
(note the 'widdershins' Barker - I expect a pat on the back for that
one!)