[OM] Re: Sigma 600mm F8 reflex lens?

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma 600mm F8 reflex lens?
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 02:18:10 -0800
Moose Wrote:
> 1. The OM mount has the diaphram linkage tab in a slot, like most
> lenses, but the tab is firmly fixed near the counterclockwise limit of
> the slot. I assume the slot is there because they use the same mount as
> on other of their lenses. In any case, the presence of the slot doesn't
> indicate a mount change. The loose tab probably means something just
> under the mount has broken or come loose. It should be obvious with the
> mount removed.

Well it's now obvious this isn't the original mount, I've made a temporary
fix until I get some epoxy or something else to keep the tab in place.

> 2. The rotating ring is for the tripod mount. One hole is for a large
> thumbscrew to lock it in place. The other two are for the tripod mount
> block itself. If there is just a ring with three threaded holes in it,
> you are missing the tripod mount.

The tripod mount is present.

> 3. The other thing to check is the filter holder. Looking at the lens
> from the rear, with the red focus point line at the top, there is an
> opening at the left, 270 deg., location near the rear of the lens body.
> There should be a plastic tab about 3/4 in. wide sticking out of it.
> This is a holder for 22.5 mm filters. It's a unique feature of the Sigma
> among mirror lenses, and much more convenient than the rear screw in
> filters of most others (Except the Zuiko, which uses only 72mm front
> filters.) The down side is that it is sometimes missing on used lenses.
> If so, the lens will still work properly, although it may then reach
> infinity focus a tiny bit before the stop. The other problem is that
> it's then a big opening for dust to get into the camera body, so it
> should be covered.

The filter holder is also present and accounted for. However, our lenses
must be of different vintage as the little handle is metal on mine. I was
also
wondering how hard these filters are to find?

> 4. There is also an 86 mm screw-in hood, which slips over the lens body
> reversed for storage.

Hood present also, but no front lens cap, did they come with one?

Darin