[OM] Re: E-1 ISO 800 Acceptability

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 ISO 800 Acceptability
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:55:00 -0600

As long time readers will remember, I always start with the method they use
to process your film. If it is dip and dunk, they're trying to be a pro lab.
If they run at the very least a daily control strip, and are capable of
monitoring the process, they are probably there.

I usually look for the lab that is used by the local commercial shooters.
Wedding and protrait labs are usually high volume low cost operations, and
while many produce good results and surprisingly low prices, there is little
human interveention in the process.

A lab that caters to commercial clients is used to having humans involved in
every part of the process. In addition, while many protrait labs still
require negatives to be cut to singles and mounted in cards, the commercial
lab can print from your negs that are cut into strips.

The local lab that I use has three dip and dunk lines, E6, C41, and Xtol.
There is a staff person that is responsible for monitoring the process, and
he is able to keep things well in control, so results are comparable from
day to day.

Most prints are made digitally, either with a Konica or Durst printer, but
hand prints are still available in both color and B&W. The woman that
operates the machine printer still views most every negative individually,
and examines every print before it is packaged.

It's not easy to tell what's a good lab from the outside. They're like
computer dating, she may say she's a super model, but she didn't say of a
battleship. You just have to get personally aquainted.

Bill Pearce