[OM] Re: [OM-D] PMA 2006 Olympus info?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM-D] PMA 2006 Olympus info?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 13:58:23 -0500
AG Schnozz wrote:

> Chuck lamented:
>
>>The 5D is truly a nice machine.  But I don't need it
>>immediately and maybe waiting a few months will see the price
>>get below the (about) $2900 level where  it is today.
>

> No worries, mate.  Just wait till fall when Canon will have the
> 6D (or whatever nomenclature they choose next time) out which
> will make the 5D look like pond scum.
>
> At what point is "good", good enough?  For what we shoot, if we
> are really being honest with ourselves, we can get by with a
> whole lot less.

I don't have any intention today of waiting until the fall.  Maybe a few
months until the 30D and D200 are more readily available which might put
a little more price pressure on the 5D.  I think the fact that there was
no signficant change between the 20D and 30D signals the end of the
megapixel race so I'm ready to buy.  If the 5D had the same pixel
density as the 20D it would have about 20MP but the 5D's 12.8MP is more
than enough for me.  It probably exceeds 645 quality which is more than
I ever wished for or need, as you say.  But, fitted with a 2.8 lens it
focuses fast and reliably in available darkness which is something I do
need.  It's hard to imagine being seriously tempted to buy even more MP
in the next 5 years.  By then I may be too feeble to pick it up when
it's wearing a 70-200/2.8.  I also have to admit that one of the things
pushing me toward a 5D is interchangeable screens.  That's also one of
the things that kept me from rejecting the E-1 out of hand when I was
generally unhappy over the 4/3 sensor.  Absolutely silly, I suppose, but
when I've had interchangeable screens on my cameras for the past 37
years I'd find it hard to live without them.  A gridded screen will be
nice for architectural stuff and I'm hoping that 12.8MP might actually
be enough to do some perspective correction in software without the need
of a shift lens.

> I've made my peace with 4/3.  Unless I absolutely have to, I
> doubt I'll change systems in the next few years.  It would
> really be nice if another pro-grade body appears. If/when it
> does, I'll buy it.  If it doesn't?  Well, that L1 looks
> nice--maybe the Leica version will be even nicer.  There is a
> very practical reason why Canon won't work for me--the grip
> shape numbs my hand.

After spending 5 hours with the 20D and 5D last Thursday the only thing
that was numb was my feet.  That was a little surprising since the 20D
was wearing a 70-200/2.8 and the 5D was wearing a 28-70/2.8.  Neither of
those lenses are exactly light weights.  There was a short neck strap on
both cameras which could help carry the weight between shots.  I'm more
used to carrying the camera with a hand strap so maybe I'll change in
the future.  Another big difference was no camera mounted flash.  There
was enough window light in the auditorium that fast lenses and 400-800
ISO was generally enough.  When it wasn't we had 4 studio lights in the
balcony bouncing off the ceiling to give a little assist.

> I realize that "it's no big deal", but I really appreciate not
> having to clean sensors.  It's raining here today.  I'm going
> shooting with the E-1.

I'm not sure it's no big deal.  It'll be a PITA if nothing else.  I've
never had to clean a sensor since the Canons I was using don't belong to
me.  But I'm sure not going to send the camera back to Canon for
periodic cleaning.  I guess I'll find out before long.

Chuck Norcutt