[OM] Re: D200 vs 5D, was Re: [Digital] It's over

Subject: [OM] Re: D200 vs 5D, was Re: [Digital] It's over
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 06:47:48 -0500
I agree with Andrew on the price, in the US at least.  B&H's price for
the 5D is $2970 and is $1700 for the D200.  The 5D is only 1.75X the
price of the D200, not 3X.  The 5D is in stock.  The D200 is "available"
but back ordered.

re: skin tones.  I can't comment on the D200 but I have a portrait
photographer friend who has a sizeable collection of both Canon and
Nikon glass from film days.  He has been shooting Canon digital since
the D30 and has a D30, D60 and 20D.  Something about the feature set of
the Nikon D70s attracted him and so he bought one recently since he has
lots of Nikon glass.  He sold it within two weeks.  His complaints were
that it was noisy and had bad skin tones compared to his Canon gear.

He has since bought a 5D and, after only a month or so of ownership
calls it the finest camera he has ever owned.  Quite a statment in that
he also owns several Canon FD and EOS film bodies, Nikon film bodies,
Pentax and Bronica medium format gear and two 4x5 cameras.  And that's
only the stuff I know about because I've seen it in the studio.  There's
a lot more gear at his house that I've never seen.  One big difference
he sees in the 5D over previous Canon bodies is metering.  He always
used to praise Nikon and damn Canon over metering but he says Canon
finally got the metering right in the 5D.

I hope to borrow the 5D briefly for a bit of my own usage testing in the
coming weeks but I already think I am on the 5D path despite the cost.
I'm not quite there yet but getting close.

Chuck Norcutt