[OM] Re: slrgear.com

Subject: [OM] Re: slrgear.com
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:43:46 -0500
I thought it was fairly clear.  Their new test says:

"Note - the blur results for this lens have now been updated using our
micro focus bracketing protocol (450 test shots, 1350 total analyses
performed), to eliminate the effect of our D2x's slight backfocusing
with this lens."  <snip>
"The Nikon 18-200mm also appears to be somewhat superior optically to
its third-party competitors, but we need to repeat our tests of the
Sigma and Tamron lenses using our micro-bracketing of focus to make sure
that what we saw in those optics wasn't the result of focus errors in
the D2x body."

I give them credit for admitting the mistake and redoing the work as
well as revising their procedures to avoid it in the future.  I give
them discredit for not telling us more about the D2x backfocus problem.

Chuck Norcutt

Winsor Crosby wrote:
> I am finding that you have to take SLR Gear with more than a grain of
> salt. They tested the Nikon 18-200 and found that it was a dog. For
> whatever reason they doubted the results, retested, found that it was
> not bad and posted the new results.
<snip>

   They really need