[OM] slrgear.com

Subject: [OM] slrgear.com
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:32:05 -0800
I am finding that you have to take SLR Gear with more than a grain of
salt. They tested the Nikon 18-200 and found that it was a dog. For
whatever reason they doubted the results, retested, found that it was
not bad and posted the new results.

They also tested a Nikon 105mm macro and thought it was the best
thing since sliced bread. They tested a Nikon 60mm macro and found
another even worse dog. Funny thing is, that is in conflict with a
respected Nikon lens tester(who did not like the 60mm( but primarily
because of the focal length and the close focus distance); Nikon's
own MTF graphs which show them to be about the same except the 60mm
is sharper in the middle; and, last but not least, the MTF graphs by
Photodo which show the 60mm to be superior to the 105.

Maybe it is the DXO. Maybe it is them. I don't know. They really need
to get their act together. I would not trust anything they say until
they explain their problem, how they fixed it, and show retested
results for everything.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA