[OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005

Subject: [OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:25:05 -0600
> Keep in mind that you may actually be reducing the MTBF of the drives by
> using them in this way due to thermal & electrical cycling.  There are
> many factors to consider, but you might be better off keeping these drives
> powered up continuously.
>
> ...Wayne
I've considered this since I went to hard drives as backup. I have concern
about the heat buildup in the case, so I keep them off. Generally, all files
on the portable HD's duplicate ones on the computer, so mine are turned on
at most about twice a month. If they were on more than not, I'd consider
another solution. My friend with the lab uses a terrabyte box that is
commerically available (name escapes me) that is on all the time, but it is
in use daily. I presume that it has a real cooling fan.

My wife's business uses a combination of tape and hard drives. Since the
HD's are stored off-site, they are of course, mostly off. They operate
either monthly or yearly, again, a good choice for on and off.

Bill Pearce