[OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005

Subject: [OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:09:54 -0800
Hi Richard,

Most upgrade versions of Windows can be installed successfully as long
as you've got the original CD for a non-upgrade earlier version. It'll
simply ask you to insert the old CD for verification during the
installation process.

The only drawback I can see to upgrading in place is one that I ran into
myself: I did an upgrade over Win2000. Ran XP that way for some months,
wondering why I never seemed to get the performance over DSL that my ISP
claimed I should see. To cut a potentially long story short, I did a
clean install on a new drive and found DSL performance more than
doubled. Apparently there had been a setting in the registry that was
perfectly normal for Win2K, but wrong for WinXP and was slowing things
down.

If it were me doing it, and coming from what was likely a much smaller
disk with Win98 than is common today, I'd consider buying a new, larger
disk and doing a clean installation using NTFS, if possible (which also
has the advantage of preserving your old disk in case you need to go
back). Disks at or under 120 MB in size should work with few issues on
most systems. Those over 120MB may require partitioning software to be
used on older machines.

---
Scott Gomez