[OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005

Subject: [OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:04:05 -0800
Wayne Harridge wrote:

>Hard disks ?  I don't think I've heard any claims about how archival they are,
>there are certainly many points of potential failure, electronic, mechanical,
>magnetic.

My opinion as well, but I have noticed some folks here using them for
backup rather than those unreliable CDRs.

>I think the main advantage of hard disks is that they tend to be upgraded to
>newer technology at fairly regular intervals so the data is refreshed.
>
>My main problem is a claim of a 300 year lifetime for a CD based on
>"accelerated ageing tests", it's just impossible to believe that all factors
>involved in the degradation of the media have been accounted for and in the
>correct way.

And my point is to agree that it's unknowable, AND that it doesn't
matter, as there won't be any drives and operating systems to read them
long before that. All that matters is that they are reliable in the
medium term, rather than given to the random short term failures to
which other kinds of CDRs seem to be subject.

A Moose who abandoned his studies of physics as a university student in
about 1963 and is now much more comfortable with metaphysics.