[OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005

Subject: [OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005
From: "Gary Holder (c)" <gary.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 23:55:36 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 11:34 PM

>> Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> "Accelerated aging tests
>> show that MAM Gold can be used as a reliable storage media for more than
>>
>> 300 years." Of course, none of us are likely to know if they are right
>> or not. :-)   Not cheap compared to the mass market, but may be a
>
> As a physicist I would NEVER trust any extrapolation from a short test
> (maybe it was 3 years max ?) out to 300 years.  Once again marketing
> triumphs over logic !
>
> ...Wayne
>

> Wayne Harridge
>
> http://lrh.structuregraphs.com

Relevant to this disscussion, I'm not sure what the picture that comes up on
that link proves--I suppose it must be that one should extrapolate from it
that the road pictured must certainly go on perfectly straight for-EVER
(since what we see in the picture does so).

Seriously, me, a "mere" psychologist, comepletely agrees with the above
regarding extrapolation--though I'd also admit that if my livleyhood
depended on archives on CD, I might well pony up the money for the MAM.

Gary H.