[OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005

Subject: [OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 09:18:08 -0500
Richard Lovison wrote:

  > Hi Chuck,
>
> As I understand it, starting and stopping a drive can do more damage to a
> hard disk then  letting it run continually.

Could be but I don't believe it... at least not on the roughly weekly
basis that I start the backup drives.  I think heat in a continually
operating case is the worst enemy.  An IDE drive, even one that's
exposed to the open air gets pretty warm after awhile.  If you have a
pair packed closely together in a typical case configuration they get
downright hot.

I reboot my machine at least once a day so all of my drives get
restarted frequently.  Software memory management errors are cumulative
and I like to kill them before they kill me.  I think the best way to
avoid them (and also save power and mechanical wear) is to reboot the
machine frequently.  I can remember when that was a no-no with tube
machines like the IBM 702 (10,000 tubes subject to power-on stress) but
my modern day electronics handle it well.

Chuck Norcutt