[OM] Re: Irritating question #183--Which scanner to get

Subject: [OM] Re: Irritating question #183--Which scanner to get
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:49:50 +1100
I picked up a Nik*n FS 4000 ED film scanner on the 'bay a couple of months
back, it was as-new, had very little use and cost me approx. AU$800
(US$600).  I've used it for slides and b&w neg and it's darned
impressive.  More info at http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/scs4000.html

Connection is by Firewire (PC card is supplied in the kit) and it also
comes with three media holders, two for film strips, one for mounted
slides.  An optional bulk slide feeder is also available.  It works with
Vuescan although I use the bundled NikonScan software.

I've been plugging away scanning old family slides, will eventually
distribute CDs to family members.  Digital ICE does an amazing job on those
old slides removing embedded crud and fungal growth.  Even though using it
on Kodachromes is not recommended I have found it works pretty well and
avoids spending hours using the clone tool later.

Andrew McPhee
http://www.dev-stop-fix.com/