[OM] Irritating question #183--Which scanner to get

Subject: [OM] Irritating question #183--Which scanner to get
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:20:25 -0800 (PST)
I've got domestic approval for a new scanner.  To be funded by
the proceeds of a bunch of camera equipment on that site.

As this will be my very last scanner, and it must be used to
digitize thousands of slides and negatives, I'm looking for
recommendations.

The Minolta Elite 5400E is a sweet looking scanner with the
highest resolution but it's future is in question.  The Nikon
V-ED is another possibility.  Of course, I'm not immune to
buying used units.  How about Canon?  Any safe choices there?

I guess, since I'm using an ancient Coolscan II, (years since
MD'd) it doesn't really bother me to have undersupported
equipment--as long as Vuescan is around.

The goal is to digitize the bulk of my files.  I'm considering
the conversion from a wet darkroom to a digital darkroom so the
ability to get highest quality scans from B&W films is desired.

Suggestions?

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com