[OM] Re: Aperture setting rules of thumb

Subject: [OM] Re: Aperture setting rules of thumb
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:24:45 -0800 (PST)
Well, when shooting raw, there seems to be about 1 stop worth of
data that is hidden up in the "shoulder".  Did I actually say
that?  Yup.  The E-1's sensor seems to actually do a tiny bit of
highlight compression just like film. I discovered this recently
when doing some RSE testing.

What's interesting is that the Kodak DSC 630? (I think) was well
known for the same characteristic.  You shot it just like film
and it also had some shoulder/toe characteristics which were
remarkably film like.  Hmm.  Could it be that Kodak really did
figure things out with the sensors?  Canon derailed the world
with "ultra-clean", but I could be wrong but Kodak seems to have
film-like characteristics figured out. I'm not at all opposed to
having Kodak sensors in my cameras.  Even my wife's little
pocket Kodak camera produces colors and skintones that we kill
for.

My biggest concern is running into out-of-gamut with "expose to
the right". If I try pulling the highlights down during RAW
conversion, I still run the risk of having them go cyan on me.
Personally, I'd rather have noise than blown highlights.

http://mail.yahoo.com