[OM] Re: Henry's of Toronto - any good?

Subject: [OM] Re: Henry's of Toronto - any good?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:53:50 -0400

> Last week I received a package shipped from Canada.  The customer shipped
it
> from his local UPS Store and was assured the fee he paid was for door to
> door service.  The truth was he only paid to get the package to the
Canadian
> border and the UPS Brokerage House.  By the time I got it, UPS had tacked
on
> another $35 in charges (which the customer ends up paying).
> My advice: always ship by plain ol' Post Office to or from Canada.
>
> John Hermanson

Yes, that definitely works both ways. I've had nothing but troubles with
things shipped from the US to Canada by UPS. I remember one parcel that took
over a month to come from California, crossed the border three times
(according to the tracking), and finally cost me $75 in "brokerage fees for
bringing it into Canada" which was in addition to the $20 or so original
shipping charge. That's quite a bit for shipping for an OM. There is no
justifiable reason for charging to bring a small parcel into Canada, the
Post Office doesn't charge, and I bring lots of things across every week
with no charge.
The plain old Post Office does it way cheaper and way faster. I just refuse
now to buy anything on epay from sellers who ship only by UPS, unless they
will ship to my US address (many won't).
Wayne