[OM] Re: TOPE 24: 2 more entries added to the gallery

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 24: 2 more entries added to the gallery
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:01:35 -0800
>>Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>>Works for me with Netscape 7, Firefox and IE.
>>
>It's not the browser. It's ISP/site server related, but at which end,
>who knows.
>
>Moose

My take on this is that it may be a DNS issue.  I attempted multiple times
to email my entry to Olaf's Millennic address and it always failed, with the
ISP (Comcast in this case) stating that the destination was not valid in
DNS.  I did some detective work and found that the DNS servers I point to
(from the AT&T days of ownership) had no problems looking up the millennics
domain, but the DNS servers of Comcast complained the answer for the lookup
was non-authoritative.  My browser is using the AT&T dns servers, with no
problem.  I am assuming that Comcast's mail servers are using Comcast DNS
servers and hurl (techie talk for dislike) with the answer they get.

The problem may be at the millennics end and at local ISP - the far end not
providing a authoritative answer and the near end refusing to deal with a
non-authoritative answer.

I looked up the mailing addresses for the DNS servers for the Millennics and
Comcast and sent them a detailed message of my theory, and the COMCAST
message bounced.  I never heard from the Millennics DNS admin, and finally
got through to Comcast via the web and did convince them that it was an
email issue at their end, not a browser at my end.

I believe it to still be broken.

I used the email address I saw on a posting by Olafo to get my Tope 24 entry
posted.

I guess we could abandon the modern stuff and return to things like snail
mail, horse and buggy, FILM.

Jay Drew