[OM] Re: TOPE 24: 2 more entries added to the gallery

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 24: 2 more entries added to the gallery
From: "Jeffrey Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:21:09 -0800
I think nearly all ISPs assign your computer/router an IP address that is
hidden from the outside world. If you have a router between your ISP and
your computer, the router is using the IP address the ISP assigned but
giving your computer an entirely different IP address. The other end sees
your ISP's address.

I believe the default for linksys routers is something like 192.168.140.xxx.
The last three digits are more or less assigned in sequence to each computer
on you home network. So although there are probably several million
computers hooked up to linksys routers which have by default been assigned
one of 252 addresses, those addresses aren't seen at the other end.

If you work for a company that doesn't quite have it's IT sorted out you may
find you are unable to send email because someone had a virus spamming the
outside world which put the company's IP address on a blacklist. The
offending computer may have even been in a different city but that won't
help you. Fortunately most executive's get upset when their email is blocked
so it gets sorted out pretty quick.

-jeff