[OM] Re: TOPE 24: 2 more entries added to the gallery

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 24: 2 more entries added to the gallery
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:20:47 -0800
Richard Lovison wrote:

>Hmm, when I do a trace route for www.tope.nl <http://www.tope.nl> I get
>195.85.182.16 <http://195.85.182.16> for the domain. When I enter that
>number into the browser I get info about the Apache webserver being
>installed at the site. Here's the complete trace if it is of help to anyone:

If I use http://195.85.182.16, I get the same result as
http://www.tope.nl. In Netscape 7.2 or Firefox, I get "Connection
refused...." In IE, I get "

  "The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust
your browser settings."

As usual for MS, more words and less, and apparently less accurate,
information.

So it's not my DNS server?

Odder yet, to my inexpert mind is the fact that my router has the same
IP address no matter what program is using it, no? And if I use any old
browser, I can't get through. Yet if I use Compuserve through the same
router and physical DSL connection, I connect to both TOPE URLs without
difficulty. Does Compuserve hide my IP and substitute one of its own?
Otherwise, I don't see how one would work and the other not.

I tried turning off the DSL modem, which results in a new IP address
when reconnected. The first two pieces of the IP are the same and the
second two are different, but I still can't get through.

Moose