[OM] OT computer makers [was Oly Woes]

Subject: [OM] OT computer makers [was Oly Woes]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:21:20 -0800
Paul Braun wrote:

>That is correct.  Lenovo is the new spin-off that sells desktops and
>Thinkpads.  Thinkpads are, IMO, the best damn wintel laptops made.
>Solid as a rock, reliable as all get out - fantastic build quality.

All true... BUT, they have those stupid pointer sticks. I've tried to
like them, but I really just don't. Even though my brother designed a
notebook with one that Gate way sold some time ago, I still don't like
them. Yes, I know they aren't all created equal. Yes, I've used them on
different IBMs and others.

Tochpads aren't all created equal either. The one on my newish VAIO is
excellent.

>I'm on my 4th one, simply because I've upgraded over the years.  Each time I
>sold my older one for a very decent price.
>
>eMachines, however, are the lowest common denominator consumer pc's.
>They're aimed at the general masses, and are built with the cheapest
>components they could get away with.

Yup, a pricepoint machine for mass market retail.

If you want a solid desktop at a reasonable price, consider the makers
who have been around awhile, but don't spend a lot on advertising. My
last two have come from TigerDirect.com, the first labeled as their own
brand, the current a Systemax/Tiger. Quite a bit cheaper for the same
specs as the name brands, and are either well made or lucky, as I've
never had any trouble the with hardware at all (other than functional
obsolesence).

Moose