[OM] Re: [OT] Konica Minolta scaling down digital cam operations

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Konica Minolta scaling down digital cam operations
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:49:03 -0800 (PST)
> No - film  and film camera operations as far as I can
> understand from this article.

Your assessment also seems to match up with official financial
reporting for KM too.  They also recognized the need to hit a
particular price-point with their cameras. The D5D is right on
the north side of that point.

That all said, I've been a bit miffed with KM product
development decisions.  They were cranking along rather nicely
with the D7x line which morphed into the A1/A2/A200 cameras and
now poof--nothing.  They did bring out the D7D DSLR, and now the
D5D, but the higher-end digicams have come to a screeching halt.
 Maybe they will do something modelled on the Sony R1.  The
user-interface of the A1/A2 and D7D really is a notch or two
above nearly all other digital cameras and the built-in AS
anti-rocks!

I hate seeing how a copy-machine company buys another
copy-machine company and then decides that the ancillary product
lines just aren't worth keeping around.  Never mind the fact
that those ancillary product lines (legacy marques) are what put
the them on the map in the first place and are what people
associate the name with.

It'd be like Microsoft transitioning towards making golf carts
and getting out of the operating system business.

Oh wait, would that be so bad?  People need to walk more,
anyway.  You know, that reminds me.  My last two flights were on
airliners that had glass cockpits.  What if the software was
written by Microsoft?  Brings new meaning to "Blue Screen of
Death" and "Crash".

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com