[OM] Re: Photoshop RAW converter question

Subject: [OM] Re: Photoshop RAW converter question
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:12:46 -0500
I'm getting my best RAW conversion out of Olympus Studio, which I think is
the same engine as Viewer, but you have to pay for it, which I did, but
that's another story. As a rule colors are more saturated, and especially
blacks are more black when using the Oly software than when using Photoshop
Elements 3.0, which I had been using. I was beginning to think shots made
with a lot of black or shadow in them weren't going to be possible with the
E-1, until I tried converting one in Studio rather than Elements, and found
out what I'd been missing. Since then I've reprocessed several shots with
Studio and have found the ensuing prints much more pleasant to the eye.

An example of this can be found at

http://www.bobwhitmire.com/new_%26_featured.htm

The Low Tide Muscongus Harbor shot when processed with Elements 3.0 showed
an unacceptable level of noise in the silhouettes, so much so I figured the
shot was unusable. I can't recall why I decided to start over with Studio,
but I'm glad I did. Even a much larger version of this, roughly 11x15, shows
smooth blacks without any hint of the mottled electronic noise I got when
processing the .ORF file with Elements 3.0

--Bob