[OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove

Subject: [OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:17:08 +1000
It's a technique worth trying on any lens, especially if bought from
such places as Florida or Queensland. Doesn't take long and kills
spores that you won't see and stabilises any damage that you can see.
Some special purpose lenses like the 8mm under discussion don't get
out and about too much and are often stored for very long periods in
the dark in cloth or vinyl pouches or leatherette cases and with very
old ones, gawdelpus, in leather! This is a major encouragement to the
spread of mushrooms.
All treasures should be taken out for exercise and a little
sunbathing regularly. They can get hot so if a real UV source is
available, it is preferable as it will not generate much heat except
in exposed skin. I have friends with an oyster lease and they use a
UV source to kill any pathogens on or around the wee beasties - they
may be sleeping in the shell for over a month in a damps sack
somewhere before meeting their doom.
I have toyed with the idea of taking my lenses down to the local
beauty parlour and laying them out in the solarium for 15 minutes or
so but that might frighten the 'nail technicians', especially if I
were to get in there with them (the lenses that is).
AndrewF