[OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove

Subject: [OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:01:18 +0100
This is an example of a problem with the black paint on the rear of the
front element on a 16/3.5 lens - you can see a crescent-shaped mark just
below the 'K' in Zuiko, with what may be a reflection below it:
http://www.hemy.me.uk/Miscellany/16_3,5.jpg

If you now look at the drawing of the lens elements at
http://www.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/lensgroup/16mmf35.htm you
will see that the portion of the front element affected is not in the image
path, and the 8mm has a similar arrangement
http://www.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/lensgroup/8mmf28.htm

Fungus should be visible by transmitted light through the lens (and through
the central part of the 8mm) but I find it hard to come up with the words to
describe it.  Besides, I am sure Switzerland is not the place naturally to
find fungal growths!  So try taling at look at these beauties:
http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/photo/fungus/

--
Piers