[OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove

Subject: [OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 09:17:10 -0400
swisspace wrote:

> What i forgot to mention is what do I do with the musty smelling bellows
> I bought a few months back, I hadn't realy though of it as a problem
> before, It stored seperate to my lenses, but should I throw it out to
> stop infections or can it be treated.

I wouldn't worry about the bellows spreading infections.  Spores are
everywhere.  You can't keep them from getting into everything.  You can
only stop them from growing by keeping them from heat and moisture.

As to treatment of the bellows I think I'd give it lots of fresh air and
sunshine treatment first and see if that gets rid of the smell.  If that
doesn't work and the only other recourse is to throw it out I'd get much
more adventurous.  I'd mix up a weak solution of water and household
bleach (maybe 10-20% bleach) and a drop or two of liquid soap to act as
a surfactant and then soak the bellows in that solution until it's all
thoroughly wetted and let soak a bit while the bleach does a number on
the fungi.  Then rinse thoroughly with clean water and let dry.

If it's ruined (as it might be) you haven't lost anything if you would
have had to throw it out anyhow.  If it's cloth the bleach may have
destroyed the dye and you'll have to figure out how to re-dye it.  If
it's leather you may have to treat it with leather dye and a leather
restorer to restore its suppleness.

Perhaps someone else has a less dire course of action to suggest.

Chuck Norcutt