[OM] Re: Some guys never learn

Subject: [OM] Re: Some guys never learn
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:58:51 -0400
As I recall, one of the primary reasons folks in the U.S. avoid diesel
technology is that during a gas availability 'crisis' in the '80s, GM
'converted' standard gas engines to diesel, promoted them as The
Solution to The Problem and those engines (predictably) had major,
expensive service issues.  Lawsuits ensued, PR flacks bailed and lots
of folks decided to forever stay with regular gas engines, thank you
very much.

That, and people in this country seem more than a bit resistant to
change.  I still recall the outrage expressed when highway distance
signs were posted in both miles and kilometers in preparation for a
conversion to metric.  I was looking forward to switching but others
prevailed and the signs had the metric references removed.

BTW, years ago I bought a Camry turbo-diesel and regret selling it --
got 40 mpg no matter how it was driven.

FWIW/ScottGee1