[OM] Re: Some guys never learn

Subject: [OM] Re: Some guys never learn
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:23:45 +1000
That's amusing because, although we've been metric in Oz for many
years, a lot of 'stuff'' is in measurements clearly converted. Thus,
a lot of packaged foods seem to be something like 418g instead of
500g (obviously a pound) and building materials are all 1.8m and so
on (still in 3ft increments). I love it when I go into a corporate
car park and find myself confronted with a speed limit sign of '8km' !
There appear to be a range of factors, such as existing machinery,
existing structural requirements, habit, resistance and good old
corporate idiocy but given that most people under thirty here
wouldn't know what a pound or an inch were if they were mauled by
one, it does seem strangely persistent. Personally, being a commie
pinko anarchist tree hugger, I blame American Corporate Hegemony, of
course. :-)
AndrewF