[OM] Re: Flash not working on OM-1?

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash not working on OM-1?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 02:17:07 -0700
Darin Rhein wrote:

>Hi Moose,
> Well, you hit the nail on the head!

Simple reasoning.

>So, how difficult is it to remove the top plate?

Excellent instructions on MarkDapoz' site
<http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/tutorials/OM-1CoverRemoval/index.html>.

>Any special tools or knowledge required/recommended?

The instructions show the tools. It is in fact possible to do it without
the spanner if you have a good pair of needle nosed pliers or better, a
pair of snap ring pliers with small enough tips. I have a spanner now
but opened my first one with snap ring pliers. Both the nut that takes a
spanner and the retaining ring for the flash shoe socket may also be
loosened with good regular pliers, but the chances of marring them that
way is high.

It is also possible to safely remove the rewnd knob using an adjustable
"Crescent" type wrench tightened across the flat part of the bottom
pieces. The instructions' warning about putting something between the
two pieces is for real.

>I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but a little leary of tackling something I
>really don't know anything about.

Well, the excellent photos should take any mystery out of it.

>I'd hate to ruin an otherwise perfectly good OM.

Can't really ruin it very easily. Can make cosmetic marks.

Moose