[OM] Re: Flash not working on OM-1?

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash not working on OM-1?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:34:13 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>Darin Rhein wrote:
>

>>> The camera had a shoe on it when I bought it, and I have kept it on
>>to keep dirt out. However, it does look like there's a lot of dust in the
>>hole, how
>>

>should I go about cleaning this out?-----------------------------------------
>
>Removing the top is the sure fire way.  Otherwise, got a vacuum cleaner
>with a hose and tiny nozzle?  I'm only half kidding.  I would at least
>try it.

Just looked at one I have open. The socket is sealed from the bottom, so
taking the top off wouldn't help. On the other hand, the hole isn't all
that tiny or deep. A flat toothpick will easily clean out most stuff. A
bit of cotton wrapped around a toothpick and a little alcohol should
then get it clean as a whistle.

With low voltage trigger flash, the first place to look is at contacts.
As you (Chuck) just wrote on another problem, corrosion, film, etc. on a
contact may be invisible. Clean it up anyway. And clean up the contacts
on the bottom of the flash, even though it works on another camera.

On an OM-1(n), also check the X/FP synch switch. It can be sooo
frustrating to get the flash apparently working, then not showing up on
film.

Moose