[OM] Re: Ok, so it was a little hyperbole

Subject: [OM] Re: Ok, so it was a little hyperbole
From: <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:54:49 -0500
> I'm sorry, I'm a little slow this morning. Are you saying that the
> software bundled with the Imacons is inferior? Or am I just
> misreading you?
Yes and no. The Imacons try to be a drum scanner without the primary
advantage, the PMT. Many tests have given them marks for improvement over
other desktop scanners, but still not up to a drum. One of their weaknesses
seems to be an inability to mine more shadow details from the film. A PMT
would make the difference there.

I would imagine that the software is less sophisticated, as the software for
a good drum costs about as much as the whole Imacon.

Let's remember, though, that scanner specs are like horsepower ratings for
seventies cars, or current advertised gas mileage.

Bill Pearce