[OM] Re: Ok, so it was a little hyperbole

Subject: [OM] Re: Ok, so it was a little hyperbole
From: Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:36:58 -0400
Obviously market forces led to the demise of K25 ... or at least that is
likely what Eastman would have us believe, along with the performance of
K64, which, IIRC, they touted as so imporved that it was a worthy
successor to K25.  I never bought any of those arguments.

In all the discussions of film scanners, it appears to me that
reasonably priced scanners (i.e., non-drum) are not designed well enough
to deal with dynamic range.  Am I interpreting correctly?  If so, then
why not?  If the DSLR sensors exhibit better dynamic range, it would
seem to me that a kick-arse film scanner could be designed to pull more
out of film in one pass than we are currently getting.I'm no optical
engineer, but I'm having dinner with one tonight, so I'll ask.  My guess
is that it's largely about the market and economics.  Or have we simply
not seen film designed with scanning in mind.  If that's the case, then
at this stage we probably won't see such a film.

Earl