[OM] Re: Fast B&W film?

Subject: [OM] Re: Fast B&W film?
From: Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:52:41 -0400
R. Jackson wrote:

>On Jul 12, 2005, at 3:54 PM, Earl Dunbar wrote:
>

>>I really don't think you can beat Tri-X, but then I haven't played
>>much
>>with HP5 Plus, APX 400 or Neopan.  I've seen some shots on
>>rangefinderforum.com of Tri-X pushed to ridiculous ISOs that really
>>impressed me, so it's flexible.
>>

>I've always enjoyed shooting Tri-X. My first newspaper job was at a
>place where they used to bulk load HP5 for me all the time and when
>I'd occasionally shoot some of my own Tri-X I'd get comments on how
>good my shots looked that week. I just get nervous about always
>reaching for the old standby these days. I'm always sure someone will
>tell me about some new wonderfilm I'm an idiot for not using. ;-)

Well, it's better to be a geek, uncool, or whatever, and get the shot
captured/processed well than to be at the bleeding edge.  I am used to
Tri-X @ 200 in HC-110 in my sleep, with great results; I never believed
in the "effective film speed depends on developer" school  Zone III
detail is Zone III detail, and if you ain't got it, it's an exposure
issue, not a developer issue, IM.  Now that Tri-X has changed, it's
apparently a true 400, I don't have a workflow for it.  I have one or
two rolls exposed at 400, and I'll probably soup one in Rodinal 1:50 and
one in DD-X 1:4 and see what it looks like.

The only reason I'll be testing other high speed b&w (I have some Neopan
1600 shot at 800 in an XA awaiting development) is that I have this
emotional aversion to Kodak right now, since they're pissing on b&w film
shooters.  Well, all film shooters, but I draw the line at giving up
Kodachrome until the factory or my credit card gives out.  Not logically
consistent, but hey, that's life.

>>That said... WHAT'S ONE MORE BODY?  Take the OM-2n too ... it's small!
>>

>You're the voice of the Devil. ;-)

Hey, I'm just being a Zuikoholic enabler, as is requisite on this list.
Over on RFF it's called "GAS attack"... Gear Acquisition Syndrome.  Of
course, this isn't a case of acquiring, as you already have the body.
So I'm not the Devil, just a very minor minion.  Now that Walt has gone
over, somebody's gotta encourage the exercise of OM bodies.

Earl