[OM] Re: Computer monitor settings for image viewing

Subject: [OM] Re: Computer monitor settings for image viewing
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:53:34 -0300
On 6/30/05, Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Unfortunately there is no real standard. Even Macs and PCs have
> different gamma set points. Browsers don't display images the same as
> Photoshop. People spend extra money on devices to make sure their
> monitor response is "standardized" or at least use the built in
> "eyeball" calibration. And they find that the monitor will change
> over time. Probably neither your display nor your daughter's is
> displaying it correctly.

Yes, Photoshop will adjust the image to match your monitor's profile
if it finds a profile for a different monitor embedded in the file.
Assuming that both systems are using proper profiles for their
monitors then you should see an accurate representation of the image
on each monitor.

Most browsers don't do that so you will get strange results. However,
there are at least 2 browsers on the Mac that do profile conversion.
IE for the Mac (horribly out-dated that it is) has this feature as
does Safari. If the image has an embedded profile then it will adjust
the way the image displays so it matches.

I wish that a PC browser had this feature. Since I run a Mac at home I
always convert the gamma on my images to match PC gamma before putting
them on my site. Since 2 major Mac browsers support colour profiles
this gets me the best of both worlds, it'll look okay (gamma-wise at
least) on PC's and many Mac browsers will adjust the colour back to
Mac gamma.