[OM] Re: Slow Food,

Subject: [OM] Re: Slow Food,
From: Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 06:48:23 -0400
Well... I have a friend who introduced me to wine, but he does not like
pinot noir, except in a very few cases.  We "discussed" this several
times, and he finally said that nearly all pinots tasted "metallic" to
him, were distasteful.  Seems his palate has an ultrasensitivity to
something in pinot.

So, it's entirely possible that one's ability to discern between
different types and quality levels of wine (or anything else, for that
matter,) is quite different than someone else's.  And it's quite
possible that a $50 bottle of wine just really isn't that good.  IMO,
while California produces some great wines, but in general they are
over-priced and over-hyped.

BUT... you come to my house and I GUARANTEE you will be able to tell the
difference between a $5 bottle and a $50 bottle.  Typically when people
say that, icharacteristic it's not in the context of a real test.  I.e.,
they have a memory of a wine from a previous ocassion, then they have a
different wine several months (or even longer) later, and their sensory
memory just isn't developed enough to be able to recall the previous wine.

There are a lot of schlock wines out there (particulary true of
chardonnay), just as there are many crap beers.  I enjoy a GOOD beer,
but I don't write all of them off because Genesee Light is truly awful.

Earl

\