[OM] Re: Progress report on crashed hard drive

Subject: [OM] Re: Progress report on crashed hard drive
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:51:52 -0700
One thing that would surely help many, if they are using Windows XP, is
to use the recommended files system: NTFS. It's far more robust than any
of the forms of FAT. 'Tis unfortunate, but there are still a fair number
of vendors out there shipping XP systems formatted using the FAT file
system. It's their convenience, not the well-being of the end-user that
they have in mind. I'd suggest anyone that isn't certain of the file
system in use check to be sure they're using NTFS not FAT.

You can easily convert-in-place (safely, as long as the drive is NOT
full) any FAT-formatted system under XP to use NTFS. Open a command
prompt, then: convert driveletter: /FS:NTFS Conversion takes place on
reboot for currently-mounted volumes.

BTW, this is also true for Windows2000.

---
Scott Gomez