[OM] Re: Progress report on crashed hard drive

Subject: [OM] Re: Progress report on crashed hard drive
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:23:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Manuel Viet wrote:

> And, please, don't ever ever ever turn encryption on on W2K or XP Pro, unless
> you work for the MoD ; whatever happens to your account will render the whole
> thing unreadable forever, even if you recreate the same account under the
> same name and the same password.

You should have read the Microsoft documention for EFS (encrypted file system).
In it they very clearly state that you must back up your credentials file on
a separate secured medium.  The credentials file is required for decrypting
the files, not just the password.  If you need to re-install XP you must
restore your credentials separately.  I use NTFS encrypted files all the time,
I'd never put anything sensitive on a laptop without it.
                                                -mark