[OM] Re: Progress report on crashed hard drive

Subject: [OM] Re: Progress report on crashed hard drive
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:50:15 -0700
Good points, Manuel, and I'd agree that they're valid considerations. On
balance, however, I'd say the average person keeping fairly decent
backups will never have that severe a problem with NTFS. Most of the
time what happens is that the disk hardware simply dies... And the cost
of data recovery in this neck of the woods is prohibitive for most
people. Short of that, however, the majority of the sorts of corruption
issues one used to see with FAT simply don't happen with NTFS. It'll
generally ride through all sorts of problems without a squeak.

One little mentioned aspect of all of this disk-related stuff is that it
makes a difference what type of disk one uses. IDE/ATA/SATA (whatever
they're callin' the latest and greatest of that ilk) drives aren't
designed for the kind of longevity for which SCSI drives are
targeted--one of the many reasons I went to SCSI many years ago. In over
a of using SCSI drives, running my own systems that have, on average,
five drives each installed and are running 24/7, I have had only 2 disk
failures. By contrast, at the office, where most workstations have ATA
drives installed, we probably lose about 1 or 2 per month--one of the
reasons that we store most all user data on SCSI-based servers, even
before we had RAID arrays.

---
Scott Gomez